Thursday, September 17, 2009




Ok,
Hi every one by now some of you must be wondering just who exactly “soopkichn” is and what it’s about well it’s a brand/company/identity for some one who goes by the name of “Jae Copp”.I have been making regular contact with mr Copp basically just founding out what he is about and where he is coming from.Here is some basis information I have found out about him ok, he is “a 37-year-old-jaded-grey-bearded-bastard” I also found out where he lives/resides calls home and it’s “the high hills of Carool which is situated about half hour drive inland from Coolangatta on the southern side ridge of Currumbin valley”. I also asked him about his history/where he grew up what his childhood was like and I found out that he grew up in Sydney during the early eighties to late nineties which just so happened to be when the major progression period was for skateboarding, graffiti/break dancing and the whole punk to indie to grunge merge was so as a youth Jae was surrounded by a “highly influential and creative space in time” I also asked him abit about previous experiences jobs ect and he had this to say “Although I fell into a well paid but ultimately unfulfilling job I always stayed or surrounded my self in a creative environment “ so basically creativity has always been at the core of jae’s exterior and has ultimately always been creatively driven but it wasn’t until 1999 that he decided to take the leap and travel down his chosen path of creativity and that’s when he started right here at Kingscliff t.a.f.e “to basically catch up with technology i.e learn how to turn a computer on” “and walked away with a wealth of knowledge thanks to the good people at kingscliff”.Then in 2004 he started up his own business/company that fell under the name of “soopkichn” but there was a problem what Jae did not count on was his ultimately not so compatible or enthusiastic partner which he has not named and ultimately lead to the downfall and demise of “soopkichn” he was also kind enough to give me some pointers and advice for future use in my graphic design path if it is to be and they are as follows.
.create goals and directions and write them down
.try to do as much on you’re own within reason
.take you’re time but work you’re ass off
.stay original
.work on developing your own style early on
I would also like to mention that my task has become more difficult as the “soopkichn” website has been under construction for a long time now so it has become difficult to source a lot of information but emails have became a regular source for me.His exact words “I will be putting SOOPKICHN to sleep for the next few months to pay attention to more personal endeavors which is mainly concentrating on art.Which is what I guess I’m saying is he is so diverse in his range he does street art for his skate boarding things but also does finer more visual art which he sells in gallerys. I also asked him where he got a lot of inspirations from and he had this to say “ I usually draw inspiration from something that has effected me in one way or another past or present, conversations with friends, good times, bad times and music has a huge influence on his train of thought but he ultimately sais that influences are derived from any where really “from there I generally start by writing down quick thoughts then work on filtering out ideas that I think will be worth working out visually”.I also asked him what artists he was into and he said “I like way to many artists for one reason or another , although I will say this I am really enjoing Canadian born artist “ACORN” at the moment , so I sourced some images of acorn online and here they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment